PTA 'ADVOCACY DAY' RELEASE
The San Ramon Valley and Las Trampas Creek Councils of PTAs will be hosting their 34th annual Advocacy Day to be held on Friday, Feb. 7 at the San Ramon Community Center from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
This year’s theme is Education in Transition, and the event will focus on the major transitions occurring in education in the State of California and how they will impact children and schools, including transitions in:
- Standards (from California State Standards to Common Core)
- Standardized Testing (from paper/fill-in the bubble STAR tests to the online SBAC)
- Funding Method (from revenue limits to Local Control Funding Formula)
- Opportunities for parent engagement through the newly mandated Local Control Accountability Plan
Three panels will discuss key issues in Sacramento, Washington and our local school districts.
- State legislator panel with invited panelists Senator Mark DeSaulnier and Assemblymembers Susan Bonilla, Joan Buchanan, Kristin Olsen and Nancy Skinner
- Federal panel with Congressmen George Miller and Eric Swalwell
- School superintendent panel with three to four local superintendents discussing local impacts
The event will open with background provided by Patty Scripter, California State PTA Vice President for Education. The event begins at 9:00 a.m. (continental breakfast and check-in at 8:30) and will finish at 2:30 p.m. Lunch is included. Cost for the event is $40.
With the new standards, funding formula, accountability measures, as well as federal implications, there will be a lot to discuss. For more information and the link to online registration, please go to the Advocacy Day 2014 webpage.