A fireplace blaze that got out of control destroyed an Alamo home Tuesday night.
The fire was burning in the fireplace at 124 Lark Court when "the fire somehow escaped the flue and spread into the attic," said Fire Chief Richard Price.
Fire crews arrived at 8:05 p.m. and got the two-alarm blaze at the two-story home under control in 40 minutes, he said.
Two firefighters were sent to the hospital with injuries, one with a cut hand and the other for treatment of neck and back injuries. They were both released from the hospital Tuesday night.
The homeowners were at home during the fire, called 9-1-1 from their cell phone and escaped unhurt, the Fire District said.
Price said the fire burned much of the attic and caused significant smoke and water damage. He estimated damages at $400,000 to the outside of the home and $200,000 for the contents.
Six engines, two trucks, one breathing support unit, one paramedic ambulance, three chief officers, one safety officer and one fire investigator were sent to the scene.
The cause of the fire is under investigation.
San Ramon Valley Fire Protection District reminds residents to have chimneys inspected by a licensed company and cleaned at least once a year, the Fire District said in a press release about the fire.