It’s that hallowed time of year, eagerly anticipated every fall—football season is back!
It was touch and go on the professional football scene, but NFL teams are back on the field in pre-season play, and local youth football programs are gearing up for their opening match-ups.
This week, we’re telling you about our picks for celebrating the return of the pigskin.
Meet the California Golden Bears on Saturday.
- Cal’s Fan Appreciation Day is this Sat., Aug. 27 from 12:25 p.m. -2:15 p.m., and fans can meet the team’s coaches and players at Underhill Field in Berkeley for photos, autographs, and food.
- Also on Saturday, several Cal star players will be at the U Threads store at Walnut Creek’s Broadway Plaza from 3 to 4:30 p.m. to celebrate the kick-off to the football season. Players will take photos and sign autographs. There will be opportunities to win prizes and free football tickets, and buy discounted Cal merchandise.
- in San Ramon also has lots of Cal fan gear available in the back to school area.
Take kids for free to Stanford’s season opener and annual Bill Walsh Legacy Game on Sat., Sept. 3.
Stanford plays San Jose State in the season opener, and in honor of the contributions of former coach Bill Walsh, the team is offering a free general admission ticket to kids, aged 14 or younger, with advance voucher registration when accompanied by a paying adult. Kids will also be invited to run the field following the game. To register and get all the details, visit the team’s website.
Watch the stars of tomorrow.
- : The first home game will be Sept. 30, versus Amador Valley High School. See the full season schedule.
- : The first home game will be on Sept. 2, versus Castro Valley High School. See the full season schedule.
- : The first home game will be on Sept. 2, versus Washington High School. See the full season schedule.
- Dougherty Valley High School: The first varsity home game will be Sept. 17, versus Northgate High School. Downolad the complete schedule, and get more information.
- Also check out the local youth leagues, the San Ramon Valley Thunderbirds, and the Pop Warner program’s East Bay Warriors. The Diablo Valley Youth Football Conference ‘Jamboree’ is this Sat., Aug. 27, at Contra Costa College in San Pablo.
Stake out a stool and get ready for some football!
Join other fellow football fans for the NFL Season opener, when the Super Bowl champion New Orleans Saints meets the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field in Green Bay to kick-off the 2011 season on Sept. 8. Sport’s fan favorites, , , , and will all be helping celebrate the new season.
Get the family in the spirit.
Host a football movie marathon
Football means an excuse to have friends over. Gather your fellow football fans and fire up the Netflix or OnDemand. Great movies to check out are Remember the Titans, Jerry Maguire, The Replacements, Necessary Roughness, or the classic, Rudy, where "tough guys" are allowed to bawl buckets.