In my line of work pain is a word that is commonly discussed. However, outside my office pain is something that is rarely talked about. It tends to be something that most people “just deal with”. They take it as a sign of aging and justify it by saying things like “at my age I am supposed to feel like this” or “never get old, its too painful!”.
The truth is, pain has very little to do with age and has more to do with the way that you treat your body. It’s a signal that is telling you that something is wrong and it needs to be corrected. What most people don’t realize is that they really DON'T have to "just deal with" these symptoms for the rest of their lives!
It has become my mission to empower people to take back their life from chronic pain. Most chronic pain sufferers don’t even realize the wide range of effects it has on their life until the symptoms are gone.
The American Academy of Pain Medicine came up with the following statistics for chronic pain sufferers:
- 51% of the people experiencing chronic pain feel as though they have little or no control over it
- 60% of patients experience breakthrough pain one or more times per day which severely impacts the quality of their life and their overall well-being
- 59% reported an impact on their overall enjoyment of life due to chronic pain
- 77% reported feeling depressed
- 70% state that they have trouble concentrating
- 74% say that they have less energy due to the pain
- 86% have trouble sleeping (www.painmed.org)
Chronic pain isn’t just a nuisance, it will truly change the quality of your life. Things CAN be done to minimize and sometimes completely stop it all together.
Take your life back into your own hands and follow these tips:
- Reduce your intake of sugar, carbohydrates, caffeine, and alcohol, all of which increase the amount of inflammation inside your body
- Become aware of your posture and ergonomics while at home or at work
- Apply a topical pain relieving lotion to the area instead of using pain medications to reduce the sensation
- Get a massage to loosen over stressed muscles
- Meditation works great for relaxing the body after a long day
- Lastly but most importantly, gentle chiropractic care coupled with laser pain relief has shown to significantly reduce pain symptoms!
Please feel free to contact me with any specific questions or concerns.