On Saturday, April 28, 2012, an Alamo Cemetery public tour will be offered by docents from the Museum of the San Ramon Valley at 10 am. This cemetery dates from 1856 and includes grave sites for many pioneer families. It is located two blocks east of Danville Blvd. on El Portal, at the border of Alamo and Danville. A donation to the Museum is requested. No reservations are required.
The Gold Rush and its impact on San Ramon Valley will be included this year. All of the families featured came to the gold fields. Not to be missed is a new exhibit, Gold Fever! which will open at the Museum of the San Ramon Valley on May 8, 2012. The Museum is located at 205 Railroad Ave., Danville, and is open 1-4 Tues.-Fri. and 10-1 Sat.
This year the tours will include historic enactors standing by their grave sites who will share stories of the California Gold Rush and their lives as early settlers in the San Ramon Valley. Included are R.O. and Mary Cox Baldwin who came to Danville in 1852 and 1853, Mary Ann Jones who arrived in California in 1846, and Charles Wood (arrived in 1852) and his daughter Sycamore School teacher Charlotte Wood and James O. Boone who arrived at Dutch Flat in 1852.
For more information about this public tour, contact Patty Dobbin at 838-0127.
The Alamo Cemetery is part of the Alamo-Lafayette Cemetery District, a public, nonprofit cemetery with offices at 3285 Mt. Diablo Blvd., Lafayette, CA, phone 925-284-1353.
For more information about this event or the Museum of the San Ramon Valley, go to: www.museumsrv.org, 925-837-3750